Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google Plus Instagram RSS Feed

Kale Brownies

Pin It
Kale brownies (really!) that kids will love.

Kale brownies (really!) that kids will love.

For National Kale Day (October 5, but really it’s more like National Kale Month over here), there’s no better recipe to pull out from the files than these kale brownies. That’s right – kale brownies. When we originally posted these we asked the obvious question (“Why?!?!”) and answered it with the obvious answer (“Why not?”).

kale brownies

These brownies have enough butter, sugar, and chocolate in them that they don’t really taste like kale. But they are dense, fudgy, and super-moist, which is probably due at least in part to the kale that’s in there. Bonus: There are no green pieces to scare off small children.

If you’re into hiding veggies from kids (we’re not really), these might be a good way to pass off some greens without them knowing. But if you are honest with everyone, you might just give your family a new appreciation for the versatility of greens and veggies’ potential role in desserts. If you need any proof, ask these four boys who all went after the brownies when they saw them sitting on the kitchen table:

kale brownie hands

Here’s the recipe, adapted from a regular brownie recipe from the Brown-Eyed Baker:

5.0 from 2 reviews
Kale Brownies
Author:
Recipe type: Dessert
Cuisine: American
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 24 brownies

A dense, fudgy, chocolate-y brownie with a surprise secret ingredient: kale.
Ingredients
  • 1 large bunch kale
  • 1¼ cup flour
  • 2 T. cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 3 ounces dark chocolate
  • 1 cup (8 ounces) unsalted butter
  • 1½ cups granulated sugar
  • ½ cup packed brown sugar
  • 4 eggs at room temperature, beaten
  • 1½ tsp. vanilla extract
Instructions
  1. Wash the kale and pat it dry. Gently tear the leafy portion away from the thick stems. Place the kale leaves in a steamer and steam for 5 minutes or until wilted. Place the wilted kale in a food processor and puree the kale. Drain any excess liquid and set aside the kale. You should have about 1 cup of kale.
  2. Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Mix until thoroughly combined.
  3. In the top of a large double boiler, melt the butter, the chocolate chips, and the dark chocolate together, stirring until evenly melted and smooth. Remove from heat and let it sit until it cools to room temperature. Add the eggs, kale, sugars, and vanilla and mix with the chocolate mixture until combined. Gently fold in the flour mixture until just barely combined, taking care not to over-mix.
  4. Prepare a 13″x 9″ pan by greasing it with butter and then lining it with parchment paper. Carefully pour the brownie batter into the pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Yield: 24 brownies.
  5. Note: As soon as possible after they come out of the oven, carefully lift the brownies up (by holding on to the parchment paper) and out of the pan (if they sit in the hot pan they may continue to “cook” and may get dry). Allow the brownies to cool while sitting on the parchment paper before cutting them.

Blogger disclosure: Thank you to San Miguel Produce and Cut ‘N Clean Greens for sending me kale in honor of National Kale Day. I did not receive compensation for this post.

, , , , , , ,

18 Responses to Kale Brownies

1. Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious October 5, 2016 at 6:11 pm #

LOOOOOVE your take on brownies. I am not scared off in the slightest by a few green flecks!

• Jeanne October 5, 2016 at 7:00 pm #

Thanks, Dorothy! From one kale lover to another, that means a lot!

2. Kelly May 16, 2017 at 2:32 pm #

Made these yesterday and they are amazing! Truly amazing.

• Jeanne May 19, 2017 at 2:29 pm #

Great! Thank you so much for letting me know, Kelly! Cheers!

3. Island Siren July 13, 2017 at 12:27 pm #

What variety of kale works best?

• Jeanne July 17, 2017 at 9:17 am #

Thanks for the question! I made it with curly kale but I believe plain-leaf kale or lacinato kale would work just fine!

4. Rachel July 22, 2017 at 1:39 pm #

I’m so excited to try out this recipe, Jeanne. I’m always looking for ways to increase the amount of kale I eat (and the amount my picky family eats). But, I wondering how you’d define “a large bunch of kale”. I get my kale from a friend, so it’s not sectioned into bunches. How many leaves would you estimate this recipe calls for?

• Jeanne July 24, 2017 at 11:04 am #

Thanks, Rachel! I think you’ll like them! : )

5. Diane August 11, 2017 at 6:28 am #

My granddaughter made these and they were absolutely delicious! I give these a 5+ star rating. The plus due to the wonderful kale!

• Jeanne August 11, 2017 at 6:04 pm #

Love it! Thanks so much for letting me know!

6. Diane August 11, 2017 at 6:31 am #

These are by far the most healthiest and delicious brownies I have ever had. Thank you granddaughter Berkeley!

• Jeanne August 11, 2017 at 6:04 pm #

Wow – That is wonderful to hear! Thanks for stopping in to report back! : )

7. RANA HANNOSH September 18, 2017 at 9:40 am #

CAN I REPLACE THE BUTTER WITH COCONUT OIL?

• Jeanne September 18, 2017 at 12:39 pm #

Hi Rana:
      Yes, you should be able to substitute it – the standard substitution is 1:1 for butter/coconut oil. I have not tried it; however, I’d love to hear how it works if you try it out! Thanks for stopping by!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. What’s in Your box? June 12/13 | The Farmer's Wife CSA - June 7, 2017

[…] Kale Brownies […]

2. Happy 4th of July!  – Eagle Point Farm - July 4, 2017

[…] found this recipe (http://jollytomato.com/2016/10/05/kale-brownies-2/ ) and are excited to try it […]

3. Recommended Recipes: Rhubarb & Kale Edition! – Glory B Farms CSA - July 26, 2017

[…] Kale Brownies […]

4. 5 recipes that will help integrate Kale into your diet • iNformedNow - August 15, 2017

[…] Get Recipe Here […]