In summer, your garden-fresh, ripe tomatoes should be a part of every meal – and that includes breakfast. We’ve got a super-fast, super-easy, and super-satisfying vegan breakfast that will ensure that your tomatoes get a starring role.
First, let’s observe the simple, beautiful tomato. Supermarket winter tomatoes are mealy and runny. Garden-fresh summer tomatoes are meaty and juicy. Do yourself a favor and refrain from putting them in the fridge as long as possible. Nothing is as good as a ripe tomato that’s warm from the sun.
To make this breakfast, we just mashed up some chickpeas and avocados, slathered it on a whole grain bread, and then gave the tomatoes top billing with a prime position on top. A few sprinkles of salt, and breakfast is done.
- 1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted and sliced
- 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. (just a squirt) of fresh lemon juice
- Dash of sea salt
- 4 slices whole grain bread, toasted
- 1 large ripe tomato, sliced
- In a small mixing bowl, mash the chickpeas until they are coarsely mashed with some chunks remaining (do not puree). Add the avocado and continue mashing. Add the olive oil, lemon juice, and sea salt and stir to combine.
- Divide the avocado-chickpea mixture and spread evenly over the four slices of bread. Top each with a tomato slice. Sprinkle with additional salt if desired. Serve immediately.
Note: For our Instagram shot, we used low-glycemic pinto bean bread from Schat’s Bakery, but you can use any hearty whole-grain bread.
And… breakfast is done! There’s enough for you and a friend, but maybe just for you.