It’s October, which means it’s time for beautiful fall produce… and clean eating, before the holidays roll around. Today we’re featuring Golden Beet Skirt Steak Salad, which is delicious in and of itself… but it’s just a jumping-off point for a month’s worth of clean-eating dinners we’re going to be featuring here on Jolly Tomato in October.
First, if you haven’t yet taken the October Unprocessed pledge, now’s the time to start. It’s a great way to promise yourself a month of clean eating that will set the stage for a healthful holiday season, and it’s a great way to incorporate more “real foods” – namely fruits and vegetables, which is a great habit any time of the year. And if you’re following paleo or Whole30 diets, the foods you eat during October Unprocessed will probably fit in just perfectly.
We’re starting out with golden beets because they’re, well, golden. They just epitomize the beauty of fall… Oh, and they’re tasty too. To make this salad, we roasted golden beets, then layered them on a bed of salad greens along with roasted peppers, onions, and thinly sliced skirt steak (cheater alert: the skirt steak was left over from a previous meal). Then we topped it all off with pesto made from the beet greens, as well as a light dressing with a super-secret but oh-so clever ingredient. Read on:
- 4 golden beets
- 1 orange bell pepper, cored, seeded, and sliced
- ½ red onion, peeled and sliced
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 3 cups loosely packed spinach leaves
- 10 ounces thinly sliced grilled skirt steak
- 1 cup beet greens
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ tsp. salt
- For the dressing:
- 1 T olive oil
- Juice of one half lemon
- Juice of roasted beets
- ½ tsp. salt
- Additional pine nuts for garnish
- Wash the beets and chop off the leafy stems (setting them aside). Cover the beets in foil and roast them at 400 degrees for 1 hour or until tender.
- On a baking sheet, lay out the peppers and onions and spray with olive oil cooking spray. Roast for about ½ hour and then set aside.
- Meanwhile, remove the leaves from the stems and add to a food processor (add additional greens such as spinach, basil, or kale if you don't have enough beet leaves). Add the pine nuts and the garlic to the food processor and pulse until coarsely blended. Drizzle in the olive oil and process until you have a coarse mixture. Stir in the salt to taste.
- When the beets are cooked, peel them and slice them thinly. Reserve the roasted beet juice (you should get around ½ to 1 tablespoon). Set out a serving tray and cover it with spinach leaves or salad greens. Arrange the sliced beets, roasted onions and peppers, and warm skirt steak over the greens.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the beet juice, 1 T. olive oil, lemon juice, and salt. Drizzle over the salad. Top with additional pine nuts if desired. Serve immediately.
So, the secret ingredient for the dressing in the beet salad is…roasted beet juice! It actually adds a nice savory, roasted flavor to the salad greens… and it’s a great way to keep from wasting that precious juice.
Looking for more ways to incorporate unprocessed foods into your life? Check out our October Unprocessed guest post on making your own peanut butter, and of course don’t forget to visit Eating Rules for more daily inspiration.