This month on Netflix we’re gearing up to watch Zootopia, which means we have as good an excuse as any to eat blueberry-themed movie snacks. Without spilling too many details, Nick Wilde, the fox star of Zootopia, has kind of a thing for blueberries, and he puts them to good use at the end of the film.
What’s significant about Zootopia in September? Starting this month, Netflix will become the exclusive US pay TV home of the latest films from Disney, Marvel, Lucasfilm and Pixar – and Zootopia will kick off the whole shebang on September 20.
So back to blueberries…In honor of Nick Wilde, we’re going to be eating a fox’s favorite snack. And these aren’t just any blueberries, these are blueberry banana gingersnap s’mores. They’re a slightly less sugary version of your traditional s’mores – plus fruit, minus candy. So while no one’s going to call them health food, at least you’re getting in your antioxidants while you eat dessert.
- For the cookies:
- 1 cup (two sticks) butter
- 1⅔ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup molasses
- Juice of ½ orange
- 1 tsp. freshly grated ginger
- 3¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 4 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground cloves
- ¼ tsp. salt
- For the s'mores:
- 16 large gingersnaps
- 8 medium marshmallows
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- 1 large banana, sliced thinly
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, add the sugar, and beat until smooth and creamy. Add the eggs, molasses, orange juice, and ginger, beating after each addition until evenly mixed.
- Meanwhile in a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, mixing well after each addition.
- Cover two cookie pans with parchment paper or a baking sheet liner. Roll the dough into teaspoon-sized balls and drop them onto the cookie pan about 1½ inches apart. Gently pat down each ball so they flatten slightly. Bake at 350 degrees for 13 to 16 minutes or until crisp.
- For the s'mores: Line up 16 gingersnaps in pairs so that half of them have the flat side facing up. Roast the marshmallows until they are golden brown and gooey or melting. Place one marshmallow on each flat-side-up gingersnap. Gently press several blueberries into the marshmallows, then a banana slice. Top each with the second gingersnap and gently press again so that the s’more sticks together. Serve immediately.
Here are a few pictures so you can visualize how it all comes together. First, line up the fresh-baked gingersnaps (try not to eat them when they come out of the oven!):
Then gather the ingredients – bananas, blueberries, marshmallows, and gingersnaps…
Roast the marshmallows, and stack them all up:
…And then try not to eat them all at once:
Note that the gingersnap recipe (adapted from Joy of Cooking) makes more cookies than you’ll need for the s’mores, but who knows? Maybe your crowd will be hungry enough that you’ll want to make more. And watch out for sly foxes lurking around…
Blogger disclosure: As a member of Netflix’s Stream Team, I have a complimentary membership to Netflix. I did not receive compensation for this post. All opinions expressed are my own.