2017 – It’s going to be great, right? Right?!?! Yes, of course it will be, especially if you treat yourself to plenty of good, wholesome plant-based food. You can start right now with this vegan Golden Corn Chowder, with ingredients you may already have in your pantry.
Why corn chowder? Because it’s such a cheery yellow color and we need all the cheer we can get right now. This bowl of “liquid sunshine” is guaranteed* to warm your tummy and lift your spirits. (*Reasonable limits apply.)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 carrots, coarsely sliced or chopped
- 1 parsnip, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 large or 4 medium yellow potatoes, chopped
- 2 ears fresh corn, kernels removed, or 1½ cups frozen corn kernels
- In a large stockpot, bring the vegetable broth to a boil. Add the carrots, parsnip, celery, onion, and potatoes, return to a boil, and then simmer for 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Remove from heat and use an immersion blender to puree the soup. (If you don't have an immersion blender, carefully pour the soup mixture into a food processor, puree, and then return to the stockpot.)
- Return the soup to the heat, bring to a slow boil, add the corn, and simmer for another 20 minutes, or until the corn is very tender and the flavor has permeated the soup. Add 1 teaspoon of salt (more or less to taste).
Note: January isn’t the best time for fresh corn, but we found some very tasty whole ears of corn at Trader Joe’s. Parsnips too!