Mid-winter blues…Do you need some Vitamin C in your life? Then you’ve come to the right place, because we’re calling this week Winter Fruit Week and we’re going to be looking at some of our favorite fruits to get you back in a sunshine state of mind. This week: Kiwifruit (or just plain kiwi).
You probably know kiwi as that funny little brown fruit with the sweet green center. Our friends at KiwiStar Organic Kiwifruit have given us the full “scoop” about this nutritional all-star. Fun facts include:
- There are more than 60 varieties of kiwifruit, including gold and red.
- Eating two kiwis before bedtime can help you fall asleep more quickly.
- Kiwifruit is the best fruit source of lutein, a phytonutrient scientists believe may protect against age-related macular degeneration.
- Kiwi contains the enzyme actinidin, which aids in digestion.
- Kiwi is the most nutrient-dense of the 27 most popular fruits.
Nutritionally, kiwifruit has more Vitamin C than an orange, has the same amount of fiber as a one-serving packet of oatmeal, has more potassium than a banana, and provides 10% of the daily values of Vitamin E and folate. (Side note: Does anyone here eat the rough brown skin? We had a friend who was an elite athlete who swore by eating kiwis, skin and all.)
But if you want to get down to just the brightest, juiciest part, it’s the easiest recipe ever: just slice, scoop, eat, and repeat. We like serving these in little egg dishes with cute little spoons that make eating kiwi seem like a special treat (when in fact all you’ve done is make one slice).
Want some? KiwiStar organic kiwifruit is verified as GMO-free by the NON-GMO Project and they are grown in Chile, Italy, and California. You can buy them at most major grocery chains and at stores such as Costco and Sam’s Club.
Coming next on Winter Fruit Week: Oranges!
Blogger disclosure: KiwiStar sent us kiwis for review. We did not receive compensation for this post.