*Update 2/16 – Congrats to AnnaZed10 for winning the gift basket, and thanks to everyone for entering!
What food do we turn to when we need a quick, easy, kid-friendly protein? Tuna, of course. (True story: We recently sent our kiddo to lunch with a small container of tuna salad. He reported that it tasted so good that he licked out the container. Hmmm. But we digress.)
Since tuna is such a heart-healthy food, and February is National Heart Health Month, we thought there’d be no better time to feature our favorite fish. And since we’re Italian, there’s no tuna we love more than Genova Tonno (Italian for tuna), which is exclusively packed in the traditional Mediterranean way, in heart-healthy olive oil. Genova tuna comes from high-quality yellowfin tuna, certified wild-caught, in BPA-free cans.
In honor of National Heart Health Month, Genova challenged us to come up with a Mediterranean-style tuna recipe and gave us the opportunity to do a giveaway for our readers. With this amazing gift pack, we came up with these tasty Genova Tuna Polenta Bites. They’re just the right size for an appetizer, snack, or small bite. Our kids like the portability of them and honestly, anything that involves both tuna AND olives is a major win in their opinion. Check out the recipe and then keep reading to learn how to win the gift basket.
- 1 18-ounce tube prepared polenta
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 5-ounce can Genova Tonno (oil-packed tuna), drained with approximately 1 tsp olive oil reserved
- 3 T. olive tapenade
- 1 T. sour cream
- Parsley for garnish
- Slice the polenta into ¼-inch thick slices. Heat a large cast-iron pan over medium-high heat with the 2 T. olive oil. Place the polenta slices into the pan and heat until golden brown, about 4 minutes on each side. Remove polenta slices from pan and place on paper towel to absorb any excess oil.
- Place the polenta rounds on a large baking sheet.
- Drain the tuna, reserving about a teaspoon of olive oil in the can. Place the tuna in a small mixing bowl and mash it so that it is evenly flaky.
- Top each polenta round with a rounded teaspoonful of tuna. Add a dab of olive tapenade on top of each mound of tuna. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 7 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Garnish each polenta round with a tiny dollop of sour cream and a parsley leaf. Serve immediately. Serves 4 to 6.
- *Note: To portion out the sour cream, we put it in a snack-sized plastic bag and snipped off the corner. Then we used the plastic bag as a pastry bag to squeeze even dollops of sour cream.
And now for the giveaway… Enter now to win a gift basket filled with Mediterranean food, wine, a copy of “Mediterranean Cooking,” an olive wood cheese board from Sur La Table, and of course Genova Tonno. Enter anytime from today through midnight on Sunday, February 15! *Must be 21 to enter, because of the wine.
Disclosure: This is a post sponsored by Genova Tonno. I only work with a company if I love its product. All opinions expressed are my own.