Have a little one who loves to help in the kitchen? You can help encourage that interest with a few of these colorful and fun gifts:
1) Colorful spatulas: Your little ones can stir, they can mix, they can even just wave them around and still have fun in the kitchen. Find one in your little chef’s favorite color; or give them a rainbow of colors.
2) Colorful measuring cups: Even the smallest chef can help you in the kitchen if he has his own measuring cups. Simply help him measure out the quantities and then let him shout out, “DUMP!” We like these mouse cups from Kuhn Rikon.
3) Work boards: Colorful cutting boards are easy to clean, plus they give your little chef a defined work space to claim as her own. We’re partial to this cheery little tomato board (imagine that) and other vegetable shapes.
4) Mini baking pans: Baking is fun; baking on a small scale is even more fun. Find some small pans so your young chef can make miniature loaves of bread, tiny batches of cookies – or even better, teeny-tiny muffins.
5) Cookie cutters: For your little chef, cookie cutters aren’t just for cookies. You can also use them on bread for sandwiches or to make fun shapes out of your French toast, pancakes or omelettes.
6) Rolling pin: What better job for a kid chef than rolling out some dough? It keeps them occupied and there’s no way they can mess up. Although plain wooden rolling pins are best for the non-stick factor, this green one from the Curious Chef also comes with a non-stick surface.
7) Egg beater: Sure, they’re old-fashioned, but a hand-held egg beater is a great way to put your chef in charge of the morning eggs (or just about any liquid that needs mixing).
8 ) Nut grinder: Who doesn’t love watching those little nuts go down the chute and turn into crumbs? Again, it’s old-fashioned, but a manual nut grinder is a great way for your little one to have some hands-on activity in the kitchen.
9) Decorating set: If you’re going to work in the kitchen, you might as well make something pretty. Look for a decorating set that has a few different tips and some easy-squeeze bottles for frosting cakes and icing cookies.
10) Personalized apron: Your little chef will want to get right to work with her own apron. She’ll be proud to wear it – and even better; she’ll be less likely to spill stuff on her clothes.
Happy gift-giving – and happy cooking!